This week I invite you to identify your top achievements in 2017 and a few specific achievements you would most like to pursue in 2018. This should help you finish the year on a high and excited for what is to follow. I’ve also shared my own answers to the same two questions.
Doing this yourself also means you’ll be more inclined to talk positively about things when you are chatting with family and friends over the next couple of weeks. Not that you’ll be focused on work then of course. But just in case it comes up. Or maybe your achievements and ambitions are not work related anyway.
It’s all too easy to dwell on stuff that’s not gone as we would have liked. Some people find doing this helps motivate them to do better next year. It doesn’t work for me though.
I always encourage those with whom I work to adopt a more positive mindset. But to remain realistic of course.
So, here are your two and a half questions:
1 – What are the 3 or 4 things you have achieved this year of which you are most proud?
2 – What are the 3 or 4 things you are seriously keen to achieve in 2018?
And, the half question is: What are you going to do to help ensure that each of those ambitions becomes reality? Remember, ‘hope’ alone is NOT a strategy. If you want some help, just let me know.
Here are my answers to the two questions:
Milestones and achievements in 2017
- Receiving regular (almost weekly) thanks for my blogs, emails and calls that evidently provide useful insights, tips and tricks that are helping (especially) sole practitioner accountants to be more successful
- Being invited to judge the 2017 British Accountancy Awards (as I have done a number of times in the past)
- Presenting the closing keynote talk at the end of the Accountex conference – this being the 6th consecutive time I was invited to speak there
- Being identified by Sage as one of their top 100 GLOBAL business influencers (not that I have any ongoing relationship with Sage!)
- Being identified as an Accountancy influencer and the sole such VIP invited to the mega QuickBooks Connect conference in San Jose
Plans and ambitions for 2018
- Fill the remaining 2 places in the Inner Circle for Accountants (for London based sole practitioners who want my face to face monthly input to help them achieve more)
- Secure at least 5 more commercial bookings of my new talk for accountants: (working title) Are you ready for the future and what it will bring? (This looks way beyond cloud accounting and MTD!)
- Continue to publish The Magic of Success: weekly emails for accountants containing insights, tips and tricks that will bring you greater success
- Fill my mentoring programme for 1-2-1 support of sole practitioner accountants who want more encouragement, support and accountability
- Increase the number of accountant subscribers to my weekly email Successful Practice Programme to 500.
- Attract at least 50 new accountant subscribers to my monthly webinar programme: The sole practitioners breakthrough programme
If you’ve read down to the end of this blog post I hope you feel it was worthwhile. Should you feel inspired to send me a personal message re anything in this blog post I promise that I will read it and respond personally. Equally, if you would like a quick chat about anything here or want to see if we could work together, feel free to call. This is best done after booking a convenient time using this facility that accesses my diary to see when I’m available >>>
In the meantime I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a healthy, happy, prosperous and non-too taxing New Year.This should help you finish the year on a high and excited for what is to follow Click To Tweet