The main topic for discussion at last month’s meeting of The Inner Circle was: How do you get the right staff and support for your practice?
The topic had been raised during a number of the conversations I had with members after the previous meeting. Not all have staff however.
We met at The Eight Club in Moorgate, London and members of The Inner Circle again benefited from the willingness they all had to share their experiences and insights during our round table discussion. In accordance with one of our key membership principles everyone agreed to abide by the Chatham House Rule.
During the morning we discussed a range of related issues including:
- Formulating job specs and people specs; being clear as to what you really need and how to assess candidates’ suitability.
- Using your website to effectively support your message and what works in practice including related tools and automated systems.
- Sourcing, managing, liaising with and relying on home workers and other remote workers (either in the UK or overseas).
- Making interviews more informative and a better filter.
- Titles and roles that appeal and which motivate – whether or not they are on staff.
- Inducting new workers effectively – whether or not they are on staff.
- Motivating the right people to stay with you.
At the end of the meeting everyone shared their key learning points and takeaways. Two observations stood out in this regard.
One member said he didn’t have any staffing issues but he still valued the meeting and had benefitted from some of the related issues we addressed. Another member who had been making copious notes announced that there was so much he would be doing as a result of attending the meeting he wasn’t sure where to start. We’ll address that when I have my catchup call with him later this week!
After the meeting I circulated to all members my summary of all of the identified key learning and action points. I also shared links to the third party sites mentioned during the meeting and also to some of my blog posts that address related issues.
If you’d like to know more about The Inner Circle, just click this link>>>