I was intrigued by elements of the Accountancy Rich List 2015 published by economia magazine.
The magazine itself, as distinct from the online list, contains pen portraits of ten of those on the list, described as “inspiring entrepreneurial chartered accountants”. In each case a sentence or quote has been given explaining ‘How he made it”. One of the quotes stood out as offering important lessons that are more widely applicable.
Stephen Lansdown – ranked 5th on the Accountancy Rich list 2015 – is one of the founders of Hargreaves Lansdown which began life in 1981. It has since grown into one of the UK’s best-known financial services firms.
In the box summarising ‘How he made it’ Stephen is quoted as saying: “It was a combination of marketing our business, getting clients or potential clients on board and then convincing them to do business with us.” Having been on the receiving end of Hargreaves Lansdown’s marketing for some years I am inclined to extrapolate some specific tips from this quote:
- Marketing is key. People need to be aware of your business before they can buy from you.
- Prospects need to know exactly what you can do for them and how they can benefit from using your services.
- You need to make it easy for prospects to decide they want to do this.
- You need to keep in touch with clients so that they keep coming back and doing more business with you.
- You need to follow up. Getting in touch once and hoping someone will remember you when they need your services is rarely sufficient. Following-up effectively is key and this is why it is one of the 7 key elements in my STAND OUT framework.